The question shouldn’t be “Is my Subaru too old for a road trip?” but rather, “How is it running?” The truth is that even though road trips can put mileage on your Subaru, the performance of your parts is more important.
Have you heard any rubbing or grinding sounds? If so, get that checked! You should also consider the terrain you’ll be traveling on. Having a thorough check-up by a Subaru service Chicago professional is the easiest way to know what’s happening with your car. However, here’s a checklist of the things that need special attention:
- Tires: Blowouts happen on road trips. You should check your tires before leaving, and if any of them have worn threads, you should replace them. Also, consider getting tires that will match the terrain you intend to be driving on.
- Engine and brakes: Your engine and your brakes are the brains of your car! Get those checked by a Subaru mechanic Chicago because you might not know what all the bad indicators are on your own.
- Lights: Lighting is critical! Before you go on your trip, check your lighting and replace any dim lights that you find.
- Wiper blades: Having good wiper blades will help you if the weather takes a turn for the worst while on your trip. Consider getting those changed if they look a bit ragged.
- Battery: For long trips, a bad battery will leave you stuck on the roadways. Ensure you get a Subaru mechanic Chicago to check your battery and replace it if necessary.
- Wiper fluid: Getting the right wiper fluid is paramount for clarity on the roadways. If it’s a winter trip, get wiper fluid rated to -40 degrees F (-40 C).
- Motor oil: If your road trip means driving through cold places, getting a Subaru oil change Chicago service done is recommended. The experts will get the right oil to help your engine’s performance.